The Fog Dodgers invite all residents and visitors of the Mendocino Coast to join us on our weekly group runs and walks. We have runners and walkers of all abilities (and even some bikers) and we have only one "rule" - we start at exactly 8:00 a.m. on Sundays. Exercise at your own pace (1/2 hour out, 1/2 hour back) and experience the fresh Mendocino coastal air.

Fog Dodgers provides a fun, safe way to explore some of our local trails and back roads and to meet new friends. You can find out where we're going to be by reading the bottom of last week's post, then clicking on the "Our Routes" tab above. We average 15-20 persons each Sunday and typically half will go to breakfast together afterwards at a nearby restaurant.

Sunday, April 17, 2011

MacKerricher Haul Road

I understand how busy many of us are nowadays and I also understand how many blogs there are to keep up with. There are blogs of friends, travel, food, health and on and on. Lastly, I understand how friendly and easy (for the recipient) weekly e-mail notifications were. So, for those Fog Dodgers, I think I'll try a different format today, maybe every Sunday??? If you're only reading to find out where next Sunday's walk or run will be,

NEXT SUNDAY, Easter Sunday, 4/24/11 @ 8:00 A.M.: The Easter Rabbit comes back, come and try to find an egg! Jackson State Forest Road 450 (out Simpson Lane and see "Our Routes" above). Breakfast will likely be at David's Restaurant. (added 4/23, I think David's may be closed on Easter so it will be up to a vote).

Now, for anyone else still with me here, let me mention today's run/walk/breakfast. We were on the MacKerricher Haul Road and it was so North Coast-like. I read somewhere long ago, that redwood trees can get the equivalent of 70 inches of rain from "fog drip". Their branches are really great at gathering the fog as it blows through and then dripping down much like rain. By saying that this morning was "North Coast-like", it was a perfect example of a great day for fog drip. We had a very foggy and drizzly morning. It was at least "warm" at 54 degrees and calm.

Present this morning: A guest, Gabrielle, she came with Kim, Brian and Adeline, Gay, Mark, Jan, Marc, Cindy, Jim, Nancy B., Rick, Neil, Geri, Toni, Bob, Melissa, John, Johnny, Maddelyn, Scott, Nancy and Tom (23).

Thirteen of us had breakfast at the North Coast Brewing Company. The food for most was excellent but they were clearly not ready for a large group to come in. The waitress did apologize for being understaffed. David's Restaurant is looking better and better.

Roger, though not with us today, sent me the following. He doesn't know how drizzly it was for us.

"Hi Tom,

Just ‘cos I’m in another country, doesn’t mean I can’t keep to my routine! I did my hike today along beautiful English footpaths. There are always hundreds of these public rights of way across the countryside, within a few miles of anywhere in England.

Today was gorgeous, clear blue skies and 70 degrees. I’ve attached some photos I took today. Lyme Regis is the town where I stay when I’m not visiting friends and family. The footpaths and country road hedgerows are full of English bluebells, so there’s some of those as well. And finally, as it is Sunday, I had a great English breakfast of bangers (large sausages), mushrooms, eggs, bacon and baked beans. Had to go without lunch to compensate.

Nancy is volunteering at the Gardens plant sale this morning so also had to miss the walk. I hope there was a large turnout and breakfast at the North coast was good."

I'll post a couple of the pictures that Roger attached and do more of them in future posts. I think that we were all in the wrong place today.







Photos by Roger T.



I'm having trouble editing these posts. The font and color keep changing and I seem to have no control over it. My apologies for the amateur look.

EVERY TUESDAY @ 7:00 A.M.: RUSSIAN GULCH STATE PARK, beginning on Point Cabrillo Drive, 1/10 of a mile north of its south end.

EVERY THURSDAY @ 7:00 A.M.: VAN DAMME STATE PARK, beginning at the beach.

0 comments:

Post a Comment